Friday, April 10, 2009

Tim is unalarming

Ok, so I had to ask the wife where the guitar was. Turns out it was the foundation of a precariously balanced structure of baby items. Protip: start with the top of the pile, not the bottom.

So I have a guitar. I start up Garageband again, and choose "Guitar Lesson 1: Intro to Guitar."

You can tell I stole that image from Apple by the pretty reflection.

I am greeted by an absolutely unalarming person named, unalarmingly enough, Tim. Tim begins as any music teacher would, by introducing the parts of a guitar: Body, strings, frets, etc. Is that thing really called a nut?

Then we talk about tuning, Tim and I. It seems that my Mac can tune my guitar. You pluck a string into the mic, and an on-screen display tells you whether to tighten or loosen. It's not perfect, but it's pretty close and who am I to judge?

Next we move on to learning how to strum. We accomplish this through an E chord. First, I have to learn how to do an E chord.

Tim tells me to cup my left hand like I'm holding an orange. Then, he tells me to place the tip of my index finger against the third string at the first fret. Done. Now, I'm supposed to place my ring finger at the second fret on the fourth string. No problem. Finally, Tim says that I should arrange my middle finger so that it is on the fifth string, also at the second fret.

I think I broke my hand.

After finding that I can't, in fact, place my middle and ring fingers directly on top of each other, I realized that it's probably ok to just have them near the second fret. Guitar people can tell me if I'm wrong here.

Anyway, Tim strums and I strum. The sounds are somewhat similar. I have to open my left hand, as my palm seems to be muting the first string. Tim makes this seem easy, and I'm sure that it's not.

I'm not going to do another lesson for a few days, we'll see how this E chord thing works out.

4 comments:

Team Boom said...

So I know this is supposed to be "easier", but I think that my tactic of learning Nirvana songs on an acoustic is a better way to go.

It only took me about 6 mos. to learn how to strum up AND down.

racecarspelledbackwards said...

Oh, I don't know if this is supposed to be easier. I don't have anything to compare it to, but Nirvana is probably more than I'm willing to commit to at this point. Baby steps.

Frances said...

wait. is this my brother? you started a blog?

glad somebody is finally playing that guitar. it probably needs new strings.

I learned the shins on guitar when I was just starting. nice and easy, and usually pretty.

The Idiot Fan said...

that muting part (sounds like chicka chicka) of Smells Like Teen Spirit had me confounded for like 3 months.