Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Groovy

Ouch. My fingers have grooves in them, and they hurt.

Tim tells me this is normal, and that I'll adjust.

This is probably true, or else I would have noticed all of the people walking around with deformed fingers.

I attempted to move on to the Lesson 2 and the C and G chords, but realized that I couldn't immediately go back and forth between them, or back to the E from last week. I could remember the E, but only if I thought about it. So, I played E for about 15 minutes with various strumming patterns.

It's frustrating, and I realized that this is so because it's been a really long time since I learned something completely new.

As a teacher, this is an interesting insight (and one that I'd recommend to all in the profession). It's been so long since I've learned something new that I'd forgotten what it was like to do so. I don't mean new pieces of information, but an entirely new process or way of thinking.

When we're young, we learn all sorts of completely new things, all the time. Put one step in front of the other. Loop your letters like so. Don't cross streams. But gradually, all those new things just become so much scaffolding upon which new information is built. But most of the new stuff isn't new, not really. It's like the old stuff, just slightly different.

I should remember what learning is like; it will make me a better teacher.

1 comment:

Team Boom said...

Big ol' insight there!

Juli just remembered about 4 chords a week ago after not picking up a guitar in probably years, so the info does eventually get stashed somewhere.

You should start thinking about SONGS that you want to play, even if you're just playing them w/ cowboy chords. That always made them stick for me (I think my first two were Nothing Else Matters and About a Girl?)